Did You Incur Damage to Your Residence or Business during the Wind, Landslide and Flood Event We Experienced Last Week?

Skagit County logoSKAGIT COUNTY – The Skagit County Department of Emergency Management is collecting information from Skagit County residents and businesses on damage including losses suffered during the November 16_18, 2015 wind, landslide and flood event.

If your Skagit County home or business sustained damage as a result of the storm, you may be eligible for federal disaster assistance as you begin to clean up. Even if you have suffered only minor damage and do not expect to need assistance, you should still submit a report. Reports are due no later than Friday, December 4, 2015.

Follow these important steps for reporting damages to personal property:

Step 1: Assess and document the damage

*       Identify and make a list of all the damages.

*       Take pictures of the damages.

*       Estimate how much you think it will cost for repairs or to replace your belongings.

Step 2: Call your insurance company

*       Locate your insurance policy documents (if available) and call your insurance company.

*       Report damages. Your insurance carrier will advise you on coverage and additional steps to be taken.

Step 3: Call the Skagit County Emergency Management office or file your report online

Complete an online damage report form at www.skagitcounty.net -OR- call the Skagit County Department of Emergency Management Offices at: 1-360-416-1850 to submit your damage claim over the phone.

You will be asked several questions including the estimated damage to your home and belongings, as well as your insurance coverage. This information will be used to establish a county-wide damage assessment which will aid us in obtaining federal assistance.

Important information to have on hand when filing your report:

ü  Contact information

ü  Address of the damaged property

ü  Name of the owner or renter

ü  Estimated pre-disaster value of the property

ü  Estimated structural damage

ü  Estimated personal property loss

ü  Primary cause of the damage

ü  Insurance coverage for the losses and deductible amount

ü  Is the property habitable (safe to live in)?

ü  Is the property accessible?

ü  Is the damage major or minor?

ü  A description of the damage.

Source: Skagit County Press Memo

About the Author

Chris Nelson
I'm a long time Skagit County Resident. I believe in doing the right thing and helping others when you can.