November 25, 2019
MOUNT VERNON– A large explosion shook the Westhill neighborhood near
Mount Vernon High School this morning, shortly after 6am.
Mount Vernon Fire Department arrived at 908 East Fulton Street shortly after the
explosion to discover a residential structure fully engulfed in a raging fire that was
reportedly being fueled by a leaking natural gas line.
Two residents who were reportedly inside the home at the time of the explosion
were able to escape before the fire spread to the rest of the structure. One of
those two residents was taken to the hospital for treatment. The other was not in
Two neighboring structures were saved by firefighters from severe damage.
Cascade Natural Gas was heading to the incident at the time this was written, to
shut off the gas line leading to the structure.
Mount Vernon High School is closed today, Monday November 25th